Thursday, November 7, 2013

Late Night at Northridge

    Just a few weeks ago was our biggest event of the year- Bonfire Night. All week, the mothers of many students could be seen building concession stands and planing arts and crafts in preparation for the extravaganza. This was a much needed respite for students and teachers alike, as many tests were recently taken and graded in record time. Many of us teachers (myself included) were quite invested in the event, as we grew in our facial hair for the Mustache Contest, each hoping to take home one of three gift certificates to local mustache-loving restaurants. 





     As with the Field Day that took place earlier in the year, there were plenty of opportunities for physical activity at Bonfire Night. The physical education teachers had their hands full with all the basketballs tossed, footballs thrown, and soccer balls punted. They also were charged with the task of introducing our school sports teams of all ages, much like what we would see at a pep rally at home.  Below is picture taken from the elementary school second floor, taking in as much of the excitement as possible.



If I haven't yet given you an opportunity to laugh in this blog post, heads up because it's time. As a participant in the Mustache Competition, I chose to explore my country roots with a handlebar mustache. Here I am pictured with one of the elementary school coordinators. (Of course I can't tell you who it is- that would defeat the purpose of the mask!)

Below I'm seated with some of my co-workers. As you can tell, they are all thrilled to be finished with grading. It's also pretty evident by looking at this picture that the competition in the Mustache Contest was fierce. Although I considered myself a shoe-in to be a finalist, I'm afraid that honor fell to other mustaches, some with outrageous colors and a few with accompanying theme outfits.


     My biggest surprise of the night occurred during the fireworks celebration. Pictured below is "torito" with its bull-shaped frame and attached fireworks. One of our most seasoned teachers donned a lab coat and goggles, then proceeded to run across the field in a blaze of color and light. Children and parents scurried away, and I stood at a safe distance thinking about insurance risk and lawsuits. Given that "torito" fireworks have been used since the mid nineteenth century, I suppose people have had enough exposure to know how to stay safe (or else die trying.....kidding...).




      As a musician, I found the most entertaining part of the night to be the musical portion. After the sports teams were introduced, the NSM Jazz Band took the stage and dominated with a variety of Latin, Rock, and Swing tunes. Although a downpour started at this time, myself and many of the parents braved the elements to listen to tunes up close (alright, I admit it, I had an umbrella...and I made a lot of friends as a result!). The picture taken below is of some of my co-workers dancing to the rockin' tunes of the professional jazz band, who began playing after the school jazz band completed their set. I was astonished by the epicness of their rendition of "Pink Panther!"


Although the rain drove away about half of the families who participated in the event, I think the Bonfire Night was very successful. It is not uncommon to see parents at Northridge, what with academic contests and mass every few weeks. The parents play a big part in our education model, and the school strives to plan events where parents, students and teachers have the chance to interact in a fun, casual setting. Next post, I'm offering my readers a change of pace by talking a little bit about my communal living situation. How is that that seven teachers are able to run a clean, orderly household? You'll find out soon enough.

Until next time.

Trevor

No comments:

Post a Comment